Monday, June 6, 2011

Soaking up your heritage

Some people like to visit their relatives in their homeland to try and get in touch with their roots. In all honesty, my friends and I are not "some people" and sitting in a beer hall seemed like a better (and cheaper) adventure. Now, is there any a better way to soak up a person's German ancestry than to spend the night drinking away at a Americanized beer hall. Nope.

1 liter, 2 liter, 3 liter...floor

First, to clear up any confusion, I've actually been to Germany before (Berlin), but the forests of Bavaria still remain a mystery. So, on the lederhosen of my ancestors, I grabbed a liter in Cincinnati, well, Newport, Ky's, very own haus of bier.

Proof of my own German adventures...minus the oompa loompas

The Hofbrauhaus is everything I believe Bavarian Germany is like. The original opened in the 1590s and have been severing the likes of locals and tourists, mostly tourists, since then. Oh, and for all you history buffs our there, Hitler even enjoyed a few brews there once too.

The geniuses in Munich took the idea of large room, long tables, benches and liters of beer to the shores of the U.S of A. The first opened in across the Ohio River from the skyline of Cincinnati in 2003. Since then, the Germans' have been taking the country with a flood of delicious taking beer. And they definitely underestimated American's love of beer.

In the end, I thank you German ancestors for many things, but the Hofbrauhaus tops the list.

PROOST!

No comments:

Post a Comment